Monday, March 5, 2012

Raymond Jack: A birth story

Here is my final belly bump picture at 40 weeks

On Thursday, 2/23 Chanse and I got up early so we could be at the hospital at 7:30 for my induction.
Our dogs knew something was going on, especially Berkley. He's such a sweet boy.

We checked into the hospital and got settled in our room.
  {I have no idea what time anything happened. I just know everything went by so fast}

The nurse tried an IV in my right arm and couldn't find a vein after poking around for a bit. A different nurse came in and got the IV in my left hand. The IV hurt all day.
They started me on Pitocin and checked my cervix. At my last doctor appointment on the 21st, I was still dialated to a 3, 80% effaced. The nurse said I was almost a 4.
Contractions started, but I couldn't feel them.

My mom and mother in law were with Chanse and I, so that settled my nerves a bit. We also had other family members checking in throughout the day and that was comforting.



 
My doctor checked in and decided to break my water. What a crazy feeling!
Over the next several hours, I dialated more and the contractions were much stronger and more painful. When I was dialated to a 7, I asked for the epidural.
The anesthesiologist came in and I prepared myself for the shot. I tried relaxing, but my contractions were pretty close together at this point. Chanse really helped me through the epidural, I couldn't have done it without him. 
Once the epidural set in, I felt really good. The only thing I felt was pressure on my lower back/butt bone. After the epidural, I progressed pretty fast. Within an hour of the epidural, it was time to push.
Once I was a 10, the nurse helped me do some practice pushes. The doctor and nurse both said it would take about an hour and a half, to two hours until the babe arrived.
I ended up pushing for an hour and half to get his head out. That was hard work! I also watched the whole thing with a mirror above the bed. The mirror helped me so much with the pushing. After that, everything else was easy. I don't remember much, but I know it was an amazing experience and I was so happy to finally see Ray.
At 6:34 p.m., baby Ray made his entrance into the world! He cried for a second, and then became very alert, looking around at everyone.
 Baby Ray weighed 7.1 lbs, and 18.5 inches long.


I ended up losing a lot of blood that night, but it eventually slowed down after I was given some medication. We stayed two nights at the hospital so they could monitor the baby and I.


Baby Ray is now over a week old, and Chanse and I love being parents. Ray is the best thing to ever to happen to us! We are so very grateful for our little man, he makes us so happy!



7 comments:

caitlin and brinton said...

He is precious. Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like it went relatively smoothly. So happy for you all!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I love birth stories - thanks for sharing. Yours was a lot like mine. Isn't pushing hard?!! Ha ha...I pushed for 2 hours too. It is the best feeling when they are finally OUT.

He is the CUTEST. I love his sweet little face. Good work!! :)

Lara said...

Hooray! So happy he is here and you guys are loving life as parents. It is such an amazing thing!! Sounds like you did amazing job through the birth- way to go babe!!!! Xoxo

Alison said...

Great job! You were amazing. He is so precious.

Natalie said...

I glad it all went so well. :) You are amazing to go through that. Having a baby scares the crap out of me -- all the changes to the body + the actual birth. I admire you for that. And Ray is just SO adorable. :)

Chansef said...

Amazing woman!

Nicole said...

I'm glad it all went well, he is so cute! Being parents is such wonderful experience.