Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ray's surgery

Raymond had a small hole on the right side of his neck, and our pediatrician suggest we have it looked at by a doctor at Primary Childrens. 
We later found out that the hole was a Branchial Cleft. Branchial clefts form during development of the embryo. They occur when tissues in the neck and collarbone area fail to develop normally. 
The doctor suggest he perform surgery to close the hole so it wouldn't get infected or turn into a cyst later on.
We scheduled the surgery for 9/19 and we were both very nervous, but knew Primary Childrens is one of the best hospitals around.

{Ray and I getting ready for surgery. He looked so cute in his hospital jammies!}
Ray wasn't allowed to eat the morning of the surgery, so he was a little cranky. As soon as we got to the hospital, he was fine! There were so many people and kids to see that he forgot he was hungry!
I cried as soon as the anesthesiologist took him back for surgery, it was very hard to let him go with another person. Chanse and I both knew he was in great hands. Our doctor was amazing!
Surgery took an hour and a half and Ray did great. He had a little trouble waking up, but nothing to be worried about. He slept until we got home and was up and playing!
He has bandages on his neck that will eventually fall off, and stitches underneath the skin.
He is so brave and we are so proud of him!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

OH!!! My little Jan Ho!! You are so brave!! Im glad that everything went well!! Next time I come down to SLC I am going to text you so we can have a play date!! Love ya girl!!

Alison said...

That would be so hard to go through, both as a baby but also as a parent! I would be a nervous, crying wreck. I am glad everything turned out and that Ray is doing well!

Nicole said...

I'm glad it all went well. I was scared enough just having my son next to me when they put him to sleep to put his arm back in place, I can't imagine having him gone. You are all so brave and I'm glad he is doing good.